Tuesday, 10 September 2013

It's been a month, already!

I've been planning this thing for years but I've only started working on the prototype 30 days ago.  It's just one of those things I was putting aside because I wasn't confident enough to do it on my own and there were a few (important) things I couldn't figure out yet.  Thankfully, I have some support and it has helped me immensely!

Daring Legends is a pretty ambitious video game project and the main focus is on procedural generated content.  What I got so far (as a prototype) is a fully functional 3D rendered dungeon generator.

Today was a pretty long evening night as I was debugging the code that generated ramps on elevated terrain and, more importantly, I was struggling to get decent pit generator within rooms and that proved to be more difficult than it should have been.  I'll have to come back and clean that code because that particular section is a nightmare to look at in its current state.

What I've got so far is the following:

  1. Dynamically scalable room generator with various shapes (placeholder tiles) and height.
  2. Randomly generated lights (placeholders for environment torches, moonlight, etc).
  3. Procedurally generated hallways with ramps.
  4. Randomly generated multi-leveled platforms.
  5. Dynamically placing giant green pills (those are programmer art for monsters such as goblins).

Here are the latest screenshots of the current prototype.  The images are all part of the same 10-room generated dungeon viewed from different rooms/angles:

No comments:

Post a Comment